Have you ever wondered why others seem to have more motivation than you feel you do? How others wake up at 6:30am to go for run, or never order a dessert when out for dinner? Or work on their own business idea after a long day at work?
I believe that motivation comes from wanting something enough, and believing that you have the ability to do it. Therefore, if you're lacking motivation it may be due to:
1. Not actually wanting it enough, being ok where you are.
2. Not really knowing exactly what you want, so your desire is vague and confused.
3. You don't believe you are capable of it.
4. You don't believe you are worthy of it.
5. You don't believe the payoff will be large enough.
Wanting something enough means accepting the entire reality that comes along with it. No one changes their body without some level of restriction. Having to say no to the instant satisfaction of fats and sugars can seem hard at first. Having to go to the gym rather than snuggling inside in the warm. It is very possible that you don't want the changes quite enough to change those habits.
If you want to change your career, but exactly sure why or what to, your motivation won't come as readily, compared to knowing that you want to change to a career where you help the public, and uses your people's skills to their fullest. It's hard to know where to go, if you're not even sure where the destination is.
You may have some beliefs about yourself that hold you back. You may believe you're not one of those people.That you are somehow not able to succeed. You may believe that you cannot lose weight. Just because you believe it does not make it true.
Staying within a comfort zone, and refusing to allow yourself to change is sadly very common. You may not believe you are special/pretty/smart enough to work for your goal. This is often called self-sabotaging.
5. If you've never suceeded you may not know how great the success feels. You may not believe that eating well and exercising improves your mental well-being, but it really does. Therefore the changes don't feel worth it.
When I don't feel like going to the gym, I remind myself that I won't find my motivation at home, but I usually find it at the gym! When I'm lacking motivation to get cracking with admin tasks I remind myself exactly why I'm doing it. What the goal is,and why I want to get there.