Just curious? Want a taster or introduction to BSL?
- Remark do FREE 2 hour BSL taster sessions once a month which is a great way to just indulge your curiousity.
- City Lit do a 7 session Introduction to BSL, with each session lasting 3 hours, so this is an introduction to level 1.
- Merton College do a 5 session British Sign Language Introduction, with each evening session lasting two hours.
- SignSay offer a FREE taster session for people considering BSL Level 1
- Richmond and Hillcroft Adult Community College offer a 5 session British Sign Language Introduction where each session is 2 hours long.
- Morley College runs an 11 sessions British Sign Language Introduction course.
- South Thames College runs a 6 session Introduction to BSL
This list is not exhaustive, but proves you have lots of options if you're wanting to try some basic BSL, without committing to passing exams/assessments. You can certainly start Level 1 without an introduction course, but if you're feeling a little nervous or shy, an introduction course may provide the perfect entry into BSL.
If you're ready to commit to studying for your Level 1, all of these colleges mentioned also offer those courses. How to choose one? Recommendations are ideal of course, but it will also depend on the time slot the session is, and how it will fit into your life. I have done both my Level 1 and 2 with Remark Training, and am happy to answer any questions you may have!
Want to get social with your BSL?
- Remark have their FREE BSL sign club, every Tuesday evening, and it is open to everyone. You don't need to have studied with Remark. Just turn up!
- Deaf Pub is hosted every Wednesday evening in Leicester Square, and is FREE.
- Femaura hosts their Sign Club every Thursday, admission is currently £5, suitable from Level 1.
- Clapham Deaf Club has weekly meetups on Wednesday, for a small fee (£1.50 - £2.50)